Friday, December 8, 2006

Nothing's Perfect!

I’ve been to a couple of therapists in my day, usually when I find myself stuck in a funk that I can’t seem to get out of on my own. A therapist helps me clear away some of the muck, which enables me to move my feet again.

It’s been awhile since I’ve found myself in those circumstances, thanks to a wise sage of a therapist that literally changed the way I think.

After listening to some of the episodes in my life, the therapist said, “You need to take yourself down a few notches”. Wow and Ouch! She went on to say I feel the need to have everything perfect, that I have extremely high expectations for myself and I see life in such a way that no one could possibly reach. She handed me a dictionary and told me to look up the word, “Perfect”.

Perfect – Being entirely without fault or defect.
Satisfying all requirements.

The definition went on and on, but that’s all I really needed to know. Many scenes of disappointments from my past flashed through my brain as I left the office in a daze. Sifting through, I was amazed with how many situations could have had happier endings.

I now see that perfection has been my intent throughout my life. It was to attain the perfect picture from my imagination or nothing! So, most of what I have imagined has never come to fruition so I had mostly been left with nothing.

I am now aware that nothing in this world can achieve perfection, satisfy ALL requirements or be ENTIRELY without fault or defect, especially me!

I work at this new thought process everyday. When you have lived a certain way for a long period of time, it doesn’t change over night. As a matter of fact I am just now trying to find the happy medium from the other extreme, where I didn’t control anything!

I am now experiencing some contentment in life. Instead of expecting everything to be a certain way, I take what enters my life at face value and appreciate it and more times than not, I go with the flow. I also try to embrace the flaws in my life, then work to make them better. I don’t stress out if they don’t change; because nothing’s perfect!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There are many things I can relate to here! It sounds like you have figured out a few tough spots in your life.