Monday, December 11, 2006

Carded At 50!

The other day my husband sent me an email with links to websites regarding savings and discounts one can receive once you reach the age of 50. My first thought was whether he meant the email to be sent to me. After all, I am only 48. Then I thought, “Oh my God, I will be 50 within a year and a half!” Within several moments, I was able to rationalize my tiny hysteria into a positive thought process.

That is when I began to focus on the different websites and all of the advantages that come with a “Senior Discount”. I suppose my reaction of giddiness toward any type of savings proves that I am indeed on my way to become a bona fide senior.

When you approach 50, you can join an exclusive club that will send you an identification card. It is this card that will give you access to all of the savings and discounts. As I pondered this information, I realized in order to receive any of these special treatments, you must prove that you are 50 or over.

So, when was the last time I had to show evidence of my age; perhaps over 20 years ago, when I was either purchasing or wanting to consume alcohol. I remember loving the whole idea of looking young enough that someone actually thought I was under age.

Then, the time comes when there is no doubt that you have entered into the “parenting years” of life, whether you have kids or not and you need to accept the fact that you will never be asked again.

Well, opportunity knocks once more and the idea of having a shot at getting carded at 50 is very appealing. So, I thank my husband, for the email, I’m sure was sent to me as a joke, for it has given me more incentive to keep thinking and looking young.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is fantastic! I love the positive slant of getting older! You've never sounded younger...

Unknown said...

So send me those websites!!

Anonymous said...

If you are in Solon Ohio you really must check out Johns blog, he lives in Solon, you might even know him! He creates Hate blogs, his blogspot ID is JQ75,
http://megs-blog-war.blogspot.com/

http://jqslife.blogspot.com